Thursday, August 29, 2013

Who's the Boss?

We have been going through a difficult stage with Jared.  He is definitely testing some boundaries.  He has been asserting his opinion strongly, and feels that he should be equally involved in EVERY decision.  The power struggle is getting old. 

After some thought, I came up with a new plan.  Here is how it unfolded....

Me: Jared, I notice that you like to be in charge.  Do you want to be the one in charge?
Jared: (with much excitement) YES!  
[My plan is working]
Me: Ok, tomorrow I will bring home some large boxes.  We are going to need a lot.
Jared: Great!
Me: When we get home we can start packing up all your toys.
Jared: ok
[What?  That is not the plan.]
Me:  There will be no toys left.  Mommy and Daddy don't have any toys.  So if you want to be in charge, then no toys.
Jared:  We should give them to other boys.
[Plan is failing.  Now it not the time to be charitable!]
Me:  Yes, we can give them away or throw they away.
[Perhaps throwing away will be more dramatic and work]
Jared: Ok.
[or not]
Me: We will need to call people to tell them you don't need new toys for your birthday.
Jared: Umm...Ok.
Me: or Christmas.
Jared: Right.
[What is happening?  He must really want to be in charge.]
Me: Then we will have to box up all your books and games.
Jared: Don't forget about my puzzles.
[Plan is exploding. I was not prepared for this reaction.  Time to bring in more ammunition.]
Me: and no more Batman Bear.
Jared: Nooooo.  I want him.
[Whew, plan is back on track]
Me: Oh, so you want your toys and still want to be a kid.
Jared: (very serious) Yes, I want to be a kid and have toys.
Me: So, Mom and Dad can be in charge.
Jared: Yeah, you guys are in charge.  

I guess I know who wants to be President some day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment