Monday, June 24, 2013

Where are the pickles?

As a former picky eater (ok, maybe still have a refined pallet), I can sympathize with Jared who seems to be slightly picky eater.  He hates most sweets.  Chocolate? Forget it.  Cake? No chance.  Ice cream? Too cold.  Donuts?  No thank you.  He does enjoy some good old plain butter cookies, or peanut butter cookies, or nilla wafers.  If he is feeling adventures he might have a lick or two of a lollipop.  
On the other hand, he does really well eating just about every fruit you give him.  I am impressed to see him even eat pineapple (ick!).  He likes a variety of vegetables too.  They just have to be cooked.  The other day he chewed down all his peas before starting anything else (double ick!).  He still turns away from asparagus.  I even told him it would make his pee smell funny, but that apparently was not enticing.

Colton appears to be the polar opposite.  Give that kid a steak and he will gobble it down.  Sweets, no problem.  I have to pry wrapped candy out of his crying little hand.  However, the peas and carrots seem to look better on the floor.  Fruit is good for mushing with your hands.  I have done the same with both kids, but apparently the fruits and veggies will be an uphill battle with Colton.

A week ago, I saw a sweet 2 year old eating pickles like they were cookies.  How do these parents do it?  Really, Jared would be having a cow if there was a pickle within a 5 foot radius of his plate.  And then there are the kids that love raw broccoli.....1. Who even likes raw broccoli?  2.  How is your child able to eat raw broccoli?

I have tried some reasoning with Jared.  All illogical, but hopefully convincing.  "It will make you grow big and strong."  "You will be strong like super man."  Or a classic from my father, "It will make hair grow on your chest."  With Colton I clap if he just touches a fruit/veggie.  He seems pretty proud of himself too, and stops to clap and goes back to gnawing on his pork chop.  

I suppose in the end it will work out.  I have grown up to eat things I never would have dreamt of touching.  But, if its just the same to you, save me a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  

No comments:

Post a Comment