Saturday, October 19, 2013

Do you promise to tell the whole truth?

As dutiful parents Mark and I have attempted to teach our children morals.  Stealing is wrong, hitting is terrible, talking about farts at dinner, although funny, is not appropriate.  Recently we have noticed Jared trying to be sneaky: toys slipped in his pocket at nap time, sneaky extra blanket into bed and hiding it behind his bear, slipping toys into bed.  
Tonight I saw Jared sneaking out of Colton's room holding a diaper.  It was a clear sneak.  It didn't take a lot of Sherlock Holmes work to discover the diaper was hidden under his pillow.  Not what I was expecting.  
As we are getting ready for bed I remind Jared that in our family we don't keep secrets from each other.  I ask if there is any secret I need to know about.  Thankfully,  he spills the beans.  Curiosity gets the best of me, and I ask, "Why?"  
He wanted to wear a diaper.  It's been over a year and a half since he last wore a diaper.  So, I press on, "but why?"
He wants to see what it feels like.  So there I sit, feeling confused, but determined to be supportive.   I am trying to teach him to not keep secrets, so I can't very well ridicule this idea.  On the other hand, it's a little bit crazy.
We agreed, tomorrow he can try on a diaper, and he can always tell Mom and Dad everything, no matter how ridiculous it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment