Monday, January 13, 2014

Nicknames

I can't say I ever had a nickname that really stuck. I was always against people who tried to call be "Di."    Maybe because it sounds like , "DIE."  A few tried to call me "legs," but friends just don't call friends body parts.  At camp, nicknames were handed out like a badge, but "...mean" isn't really a nickname.  One can maybe wonder how nicknames come to be.  As I never really had one, it is hard to understand.  
As Colton is becoming more verbal and Jared and Colton interact more, it has been interesting to see them develop nicknames for each other.  One of Colton's first words was "Jared."  Sure, it was a little unclear, but it was "Jared."  I guess over time Colton decided that was just too much work.  He has abandoned "Jared" and now calls him, "Gee." It took Jared awhile a to pick up on this, but Jared now responds to "Gee."  It's so catchy, I have to stop myself from slipping and calling him "Gee" as well.

Jared has really taken to helping Colton.  Somewhere along the way of helping him, Jared starting calling Colton "Buddy."  It's such an innocent nickname.  Jared will even abbreviate to "Bud."  No worries, when they are arguing or he is getting Colton's attention, Jared will still loudly scream, "Colton."  I suppose this is why "Buddy" sounds so innocent.  

Who knows how long these nicknames will last.  I suppose years from now it might all be a memory I share with them.  I say the way to show you really love someone, you give them a nickname. 

Right Dada, Bratley, and Urn?

No comments:

Post a Comment