Monday, September 23, 2013

Filling the Cup

The four year old birthday party is all cleaned up, new toys have been played with and cards have come down.  That means it's time for the four year old physical.  
When I made the appointment, a cup was given to us to collect first morning urine.  Yesterday, I got out the cup to remind myself it needed to be done.  Jared found much humor in the fact he would get to pee in a cup.  At bedtime, we discussed if he woke up early to call for help so he could pee in the cup.  As excited as he was about it, it is no surprise that at 4:52 he called to go potty so he could pee in the cup.  I had already decided this was a job for Daddy.  
When I saw Jared in the morning he proudly announced that he filled the cup.  He went on to explain he had more pee, but he just peed the extra pee in the toilet.  Ahh, good conversation for first thing in the morning.  
Fast forward in the day to the doctor's visit.  Jared has tagged along on all of Colton's wellness exams.  He is very familiar with the routine.  He takes the opportunity to ask, "why?"  "Why does the doctor look in my mouth?"  "Why does he move my legs?"  "Why does he take off my diaper and feel my penis?" (Never mind he doesn't wear diapers) As you can see, some answers were easier to supply than others.  
Once we are checked in at the doctor, Jared's curiosity continues.  "Why does he want my pee?"  "What happens if my pee is bad pee?"  "How do they know if I have good pee?"  "Do we get to take the extra pee home with us?"  "Do they have a big toilet back there?"  (Oh yes, much laughing when he said the word toilet)  "I'm not getting a shot, right?"  "But Colton doesn't always get a shot...why do I have to get one?"  "What?  Why do I have to have three shots?"

The actual time with the doctor was a success.  He was listening very closely.  When the doctor asked if I had any behavior concerns and I said no, Jared turned to me and smiled.  There was one part of the exam he found hysterical, I'll let you guess which part.  

Then it was time for shots.  I braced myself for all out fits of rage.  But other than a small cry on the first shot, there were no tears.  Even the doctor commented how brave he was.  I was happily surprised.  

On the way home we talked about how funny it would be to get a shot in the butt.  (Yes, much laughter ensued.)

No comments:

Post a Comment