Saturday, March 16, 2013

Please pass the IPhone?

Tonight we ventured out for dinner. Always nice to get out of the house and do something different. Both kids seem to enjoy the change of pace. Let's take a second and think of objectives for eating out:
1. Eating
2. Less clean up
3. Good times

Looking around this busy restaurant, it seemed other families had the same objective. However, their interpretation of good times, and mine are different. Seated next to us was a family with an infant and a 3 year old. The 3 year old was consumed with her mother's iPhone as they waited for dinner. They were not the only family letting their kids use their phone as entertainment. As we waited for dinner, we all talked as a family. Jared ate just as fast as always, and was ready to go. He had his coat on and was getting restless. I could have solved all my problems by passing Jared my iPhone. Instead, I had Jared sit on my lap (it was really loud at the restaurant) and we talked about the basketball game. This conversation turned into a discussion about college and which how he was going to get to college. We talked about Mommy and Daddy taking him to college someday. He seemed concerned about having a big chair for college. I have no clue what he was referring to. Suddenly, dinner was done and it was time to go.

Tonight at dinner, I ate, didn't have to worry about Cheerios on floor, and had a good time conversing with the family. I am glad I decided to not pass the iPhone.

2 comments:

  1. Such good parenting! We are always amazed at the families in restaurants with I pods and I phones in all hands and no conversation. So nice to know your at home habits carry out to the public. Hope some one saw and thought you had the best meal plan JZ

    ReplyDelete