Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Let's Go Fly a Kite

A commentary on kites.

Jared for Easter received a Lightning McQueen Kite.  I have it on good authority from the Easter Bunny that it cost about $5.  It was going to be a perfect first kite, cheap and plasticky.  It was a slight step up from a garbage bag and some sticks.  

Due to unseasonably cold weather it took us awhile to get out the kite.  Once we did, I was a little confused why I got a straw.  Well instead of the el-cheapo plastic rods, you now get a straw.  You then blow up the kite.  I am not really sure if it is blown up if it is still considered a kite. Is it now a balloon?  Balloons you fill with air.  I believe by pure definition it is not a kite.  I digress.

So, I blow up this kite and Jared is all thrilled.  McQueen is huge, and that is all that really matters.  The little string holder thing is extremely little.  There's cheap, and then there's really cheap.  We attach the string and attempt to fly.  No success.  It was not an extremely windy day.  We try again another day, but never have luck.  It also is never super windy when we try.

Today was super windy.  Super.  We pull it out, it takes off and crash lands.  I believe the maximum flying time was 3 seconds.  The thing flips and falls.  I think to myself, "Oh my gosh, is it possible I forgot how to fly a kite?  Am I forgetting a step?  What am I do wrong?  I am a kite flying failure."  Jared tells me he doesn't want to do kite anymore.  Who can blame him?  

After dinner we are back outside.  Mark notices the windy day, and decides to try the kite.  Perhaps he has the secret skill.  Maybe he remembers what is needed to be successful at kite flying.  I watch.  The kite wants to fly in the wind, but is unable a to go without crash landing shortly after take-off.  The kite keeps flipping over and falling.  Because, it isn't really a kite, it's a balloon.  The good news is it appears I can buy a kite for $9, but there won't be Lightning McQueen on it.  I guess if Jared wants to see McQueen fly, I'm going to need a white Hefty garbage bag and a red Sharpie.  

No comments:

Post a Comment