Friday, May 3, 2013

Tooth drama part 2

Parents across the world are pulling their child's teeth out. I am not the squeamish type, so I was not concerned about my role in pulling out the boys' teeth. Of course, I was assuming I would be given this duty when Jared was around 6. Perhaps I wasn't mentally prepared, perhaps I didn't do my research, but I could not pull out Jared's tooth.

After 6 days of a loose tooth Jared was drinking his juice, and came running over. His tooth had clearly got knocked more. I could see the root. I had no clue how it was still attached. Jared said he wanted it out. So, it was time. I got ready to put my fingers in Jared's mouth and started crying. I felt so bad that this had happened to him and it was not his fault. I quickly tried to pull myself together. I went in for the pull, but found it far more slippery than I had expected. Plus it is tiny. I had no clue how I was suppose to hold it, let alone hold and pull. Time for a break.

I called my best friend, and got some essential advice: Kleenex. Armed with my new tool, I tried again. Again, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It was more of an emotional struggle for me than anything else. No problem, Dad would be home soon. He could do it. Except he couldn't bring himself to do it either. We all figured it would come out at dinner. It didn't.

The next morning we headed to the dentist. Great, he can do it. He IS a dentist after all. This should be a cake walk. After all, by this point you see almost the entire root. He didn't pull it. Didn't want to make Jared upset. Thanks. At this point when Jared is eating it is going upwards a full 180 degrees. It is quite impressive that it is staying. But all good things must come to an end. So, Mark realized he was going to have to be the one. A simple yank, and it was out.

It wasn't so easy for me to pull out the tooth. When Jared asked if it would hurt, I didn't know what to tell him. His tooth was dead. Turns out it didn't hurt, and he was happy to have it gone. How parents do this, I do not know. What if I did hurt him? I would feel terrible if I added to his pain. It was such an unfortunate situation.

Maybe it will be easier with his his next tooth. I guess I will find out. Looks like the other tooth only has a few more days before its time has come.

No comments:

Post a Comment