Thursday, May 2, 2013

Tooth drama part 1

The quick story. Jared has his top front two teeth broken right below the gum line by being pushed by a "friend" at daycare. The saga of the loose tooth brings up many points. So this is the first in my tooth drama series.

Explaining tooth loss to a 3 year old is not easy. There are many reasons why you should lose your tooth when you are 3 years old. The least obvious reason, but perhaps a significant reason is the explaining that is involved. In the course of a week there have been some humorous moments.

Day 1 (teeth are loose and questionable)

Me: Jared I think your teeth will fall out
Jared: (BIG gasp and mouth hangs open)
Me: don't worry you will get another tooth
Jared: huh?


Day 6 (tooth is dangling)
Me: The good news is when you lose a tooth the tooth fairy comes.
Jared: Huh?
Me: We will put your tooth in a pillow and she will take it and leave a treat.
Jared: but I like my pillow.
Me: She won't take the pillow
Jared: Why does she want my tooth?
Me: it is her job. And she leaves a treat.
Jared: What?
Me: maybe money
Jared: I don't like money.
Me: but you might like a treat.
Jared: maybe.

Day 7 (trip to dentist. One of the teeth is on its last leg. The other tooth is just a little lose)
Me: Jared, the dentist said you are going to lose both teeth.
Jared: How? Only one is unbuckled.


Rachel (3 year old niece in Face time with Jared): Jared I want to go to dentist so they can take out my tooth too and the tooth fairy can come.


Bedtime:
Jared: I think the pillow should be outside the room. I don't want that tooth person to come too close to me while I am sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment